Technician-EKG Phlebotomist II - JS Pathology General MBMC
Job ID: 9269
Job Category: Laboratory & Pathology
Job Type: Clinical
Work Type: Full Time
Work Schedule: Days
To collect blood samples, perform whole blood glucose testing, and perform EKG's in a timely and accurate manner. Assist Technical Specialist and Team Leader with staff training and competency assessment, inventory control, continuing education and quality assurance activities as well as workload assignment. Performs all other duties as assigned.Responsibilities
Requirements, Preferences and Experience Education
- Provides orientation and instruction to new employees and students as needed. Coordinates continuing education and competency activities for staff in the department. Assists with inventory and supply management as needed. Appropriately documents specimen collection issues to assist with follow-up.
- Demonstrates knowledge of pre-analytic variables for laboratory tests by using appropriate methods for collecting specimens and appropriate corrective actions, as needed. Applies knowledge of available resources for gathering information related to blood collection and test procedures, including using computerized information systems and specimen collection lists. Acts as back-up for the Team Leader when necessary.
- Follow established procedures and protocols for collecting, labeling and transporting biological specimens for laboratory analysis and whole blood glucose testing, recognizing common patient situations and procedural or technical problems and the appropriate courses of action.
- Performs 12-lead EKG tests according to established protocol, entering required patient identification information and transmitting results as requested for immediate attention and patient care.
- Demonstrates advanced technical skills and related knowledge to other hospital staff, assisting in appropriate care and communication of pertinent procedures related to specimen collection. Appropriately documents both quality control and patient whole blood glucose testing results, taking and reporting appropriate corrective action as needed and using comment codes correctly.
- Selects appropriate equipment, reagents and sample types for collecting specimens for laboratory analysis and/or whole blood glucose testing, recognizing appropriate actions and methods needed for difficult and/or unusual patient collections.
- Demonstrates commitment to personal career growth and competency, including completion of all departmental requirements. Performs other duties as requested following training.
Preferred: Completion of Phlebotomy Course-Accredited Preferred. Additional Education Requirements: 100 sticks at a clinical site preferred.
Minimum: High School Diploma or Equivalent Required. Experience
Minimum: 1 year Healthcare/Medical-Phlebotomy Required. Licensure, Registration, Certification
Minimum: License/Certification/Registries (valid for the State of MS): National Phlebotomy Certification Required, or National Phlebotomy Certification within One Year of Employment Required. Special Skills
Minimum: Successful completion of Phlebotomy and 12-Lead EKG testing courses as scheduled.About Baptist Memorial Health Care
At Baptist, we owe our success to our colleagues, who have both technical expertise and a compassionate attitude. Every day they carry out Christ's three-fold ministry-healing, preaching and teaching. And, we reward their efforts with compensation and benefits packages that are highly competitive in the Mid-South health care community. For two consecutive years, Baptist has won a Best in Benefits award for offering the best benefit plans compared with their peer groups. Winners are chosen based on plan designs, premiums and the results of a Benefits Benchmarking Survey.At Baptist, We Offer:
- Competitive salaries
- Paid vacation/time off
- Continuing education opportunities
- Generous retirement plan
- Health insurance, including dental and vision
- Sick leave
- Service awards
- Free parking
- Short-term disability
- Life insurance
- Health care and dependent care spending accounts
- Education assistance/continuing education
- Employee referral program
Position: 11748 - Technician-EKG Phlebotomist II
Department: JS Pathology General MBMC
Category: Laboratory & Pathology
Work Type: Full Time
Work Schedule: Days
Located in the Jackson, MS metro area