Ensures the hospital is collecting patient deductibles and co-pays in an accurate and timely manner. Serves as a resource to patients, families, and employees to discuss financial arrangements and properly explain patient financial obligation. Works 8 hours per day, 5 days per week with the possibility of some overtime as needed for the department. Performs other duties as assigned.Responsibilities
Requirements, Preferences and Experience Education
- Works with patients, families, hospital staff, and representatives from outside agencies to collect deductibles and co-pays, set up payment plans, and evaluate bad debt.
- Assists patients with initiation of the application for Charity Care.
- Serves as a resource to properly explain insurance benefits to patients, families, hospital staff, and representatives from outside agencies as to how they pertain to the services being performed at this facility.
- Understands and complies with regulatory requirements by specific insurance companies and facilitates compliance by maintaining awareness of guidelines and ensuring compliance through communication and documentation to appropriate staff.
- Registers patients accurately, efficiently, and professionally to ensure data base integrity and facilitate claims processing.
- Expedites patient flow through prompt and courteous service.
- Completes assigned annual goals.
Preferred: Associates degree or 2 years of college level courses.
Minimum: Skill in communicating clearly and effectively using standard English in written, oral, and verbal format to achieve high productivity and efficiency. Skill to write legibly and record information accurately as necessary to perform job duties.Experience
Preferred: 5 years of business experience in a healthcare environment. Front-end collections experience desired.
Minimum: 3 years of business related office experience with 1 of those years being healthcare related experience.Licensure, Registration, Certification
Minimum: CHAASpecial Skills
Preferred: Knowledge of McKesson HBOC applications of cash postings and registration processes. Insurance verification processes using Real Time Eligibility, Passport Communications, and additional on-line verification processes. Knowledge of pre-certification requirements and guidelines.
Minimum: Basic computer skills, ability to perform basic math computation, type 30 words per minute, and problem solving skills. Dealing with confrontational issues and high stress situations with patients, family, and physicians.About Baptist Memorial Health Care
At Baptist, we owe our success to our colleagues, who have both technical expertise and a compassionate attitude. Every day they carry out Christ's three-fold ministry-healing, preaching and teaching. And, we reward their efforts with compensation and benefits packages that are highly competitive in the Mid-South health care community. For two consecutive years, Baptist has won a Best in Benefits award for offering the best benefit plans compared with their peer groups. Winners are chosen based on plan designs, premiums and the results of a Benefits Benchmarking Survey.At Baptist, We Offer:
- Competitive salaries
- Paid vacation/time off
- Continuing education opportunities
- Generous retirement plan
- Health insurance, including dental and vision
- Sick leave
- Service awards
- Free parking
- Short-term disability
- Life insurance
- Health care and dependent care spending accounts
- Education assistance/continuing education
- Employee referral program
Position: 1940 - Counselor-Finance
Facility: BMH-Desoto Hospital
Department: DC Admissions BMH Desoto
Category: Finance and Accounting
Type: Non Clinical
Work Type: Full Time
Work Schedule: Days
Located in the Memphis metro area