The System Manager of Emergency Management provides oversight and leadership to maximize the effective planning, implementation, and management of organizational compliance areas and the comprehensive emergency management program. The incumbent is responsible for overseeing all emergency preparedness activities at Baptist Memorial Health Care Corporation and Baptist Medical Group (BMG) and ensures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations, as well as accreditation standards, while always striving to achieve industry best practices. The incumbent will be responsible for oversight of key components of the overall environment of care programs where there is integration and overlapping of operations and response protocols in relation to emergency management functions. The incumbent will work with all hospitals, BMG clinics and leadership, and business occupancies to facilitate emergency management preparation, mitigation, response, recovery and continuity of business activites. The incumbent will facilitate planning, resources and execution of all emergency operations plan training and exercise events in support of hospital preparedness while coordinating across the health care system and serves as the organizational representative to local, state and regional hospital preparedness and association committees and coalitions as required. Incumbent is accountable for departmental management 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.Responsibilities
Requirements, Preferences and Experience Education
- Facilitates and evaluates organizational compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations related to emergency preparedness and response, safety and security.
- Provides administrative assistance and delegated oversight including hiring, firing, performance reviews and professional development of the system development team and collaborates with them in oversight of departmental budgets and operations.
- Organizes and implements the processes to manage the tracking and reporting of organizational compliance in identified areas and/or departments.
- Provides leadership for safety and organizational compliance by providing coaching, mentoring, goal setting, assessment, and counseling to achieve quality and efficiency of services and programs.
- Develops, monitors, and recommends campus wide emergency management/safety polices, procedures and educational programs in conjunction with the System Safety Health and Environment (SHE) Committee and Administrations to maintain safe and secure campuses.
- Working knowledge of chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear materials and response needs, competency and capabilities to include Occupational Safety and Hazard Administration (OSHA) Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).
- Collaborates with Senior Leadership and Administration to implement and evaluate organizational performance outcomes and establish, where appropriate, processes to improve overall organizational performance.
- Complies with established corporate and departmental policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance methods, and safety codes. Demonstrates compliance with licensing, regulatory and accrediting agency provisions as required.
- Maintain the organizations, hospital, & BMG Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan and Continuity of Operations Plan, ensures the plans meets and/or exceeds regulatory requirements to include CMS, Joint Commission, DNV, NFPA, and OSHA etc. along with applicable State and Local Emergency Management requirements.
- Assist the entities and key user groups in authoring, revision or updates to emergency plans that outline operating procedures used in response to disasters/emergencies on annual basis. Example plans include earthquake, medical surge, CBRNE events, technological events, etc.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the education, planning and activation of the Hospital Incident Command System. Facilitate training on HICS organization wide.
- Develop and implement progressive training exercises using HSEEP methodology. Provide instruction and guidance to exercise and event participants; evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of exercises and event response.
- Prepare and manage After-Action Reports to include working with impacted departments on identified improvements.
- Serve as Hospital Liaison to local, State and Federal partners for purposes of planning, exercising or emergency activations; ability to elicit the cooperation and support of county, city, state & federal personnel, including volunteers.
- Investigate, research, and make recommendations regarding best practices with respect to emergency management programs.
- Understands the interrelationships, responsibilities, goals, and functions of local, state and federal government in planning and implementing emergency services.
- Drafts letters, memoranda and reports from written copy. Proofs materials for errors and ensures layout is in keeping with hospital brand.
- Participates in Hospital Incident Command activation to include 24-hour per day activations.
- Develop, conduct and participates in educational programs and in-service meetings, and completes paperwork documenting attendance. Design and administer emergency or disaster preparedness training courses that teach people how to effectively respond to major emergencies and disasters
- Maintains annual mandatory education requirements specific to position as mandated by BMHCC.
- Manages an ongoing process to collect information and opportunities under a continuous quality improvement system.
- Coordinate collection, organization, analysis, and standardized reporting of information and corrective actions in conjunction with an effective audit program
- Develop and submit reports of survey assessment findings, recommendations and assists in identifying and implementing corrective actions;
- Supports and leads systemwide projects through project management;
- Work with peers among facility(s) in Emergency Management functions to direct implementation and monitoring of identified Emergency Management program recommendations.
- Provide annual evaluations, risk assessments of the program and facility(s)
- Maintain equipment, tools and recommend mitigation strategies
- Develop, and execute the expenditure of all capital and significant operational budget requests to support emergency preparedness. Present requests and justification to leadership for approval.
- Work with local vendors and experts to ensure that emergency preparedness equipment and supplies are available and in good working condition. Assist in the recommendation for purchase of supplies and equipment to support emergency preparedness and decontamination operations as necessary.
- Research, find and apply for emergency management related grant funding opportunities to assist in resourcing necessary mitigation, training and equipment requirements.
- Direct and oversee system, hospital, & BMG planning groups, task forces, committees and sub-committees regarding emergency preparedness.
- Orient new health care system staff to the emergency management program by assisting in developing and delivering the Emergency Management New Hire Orientation presentation
- Collaborate with other officials to prepare and analyze damage assessments following disasters or emergencies.
- Perform related accountabilities/responsibilities as required or directed.
Preferred: Masters degree in related field.
Minimum: Bachelors degree in Emergency Management or related field.Experience
Preferred: Five (5) years work experience directly related to emergency preparedness, regulatory compliance (CMS, JC, NFPA, OSHA, etc.) or related organizational compliance roles. Three (3) years experience in managing and supervisory role
Minimum: Three (3) to Five (5) years work experience directly related to emergency preparedness, safety, security and response along with regulatory compliance (CMS, JC, NFPA, OSHA, etc.) or related organizational compliance roles. Two (2) years experience in managing and suprervisory role.Licensure, Registration, Certification
Preferred: Certified Healthcare Emergency Coordinator (CHEC) and/or Certified Emergency Disaster Planner (CEDP)
Minimum: Valid driver's license and ability to maintain or secure certifications as needed for the role.Training
Minimum: Experience and working knowledge of the Hospital Incident Command System (HICS) and applicable aspects of safety management in a complex environment. Training or experience in project management, strong leadership, communication and operational problem solving skills required.About Baptist Memorial Health Care
At Baptist, we owe our success to our colleagues, who have both technical expertise and a compassionate attitude. Every day they carry out Christ's three-fold ministry-healing, preaching and teaching. And, we reward their efforts with compensation and benefits packages that are highly competitive in the Mid-South health care community. For two consecutive years, Baptist has won a Best in Benefits award for offering the best benefit plans compared with their peer groups. Winners are chosen based on plan designs, premiums and the results of a Benefits Benchmarking Survey.At Baptist, We Offer:
- Competitive salaries
- Paid vacation/time off
- Continuing education opportunities
- Generous retirement plan
- Health insurance, including dental and vision
- Sick leave
- Service awards
- Free parking
- Short-term disability
- Life insurance
- Health care and dependent care spending accounts
- Education assistance/continuing education
- Employee referral program
Position: 13207 - System Manager-Emergency Management
Facility: BMHCC Corporate Office
Department: HS System Development Corporate
Category: Quality, Compliance & Safety
Type: Non Clinical
Work Type: Full Time
Work Schedule: Days
Located in the Memphis metro area