Provides pharmacy consulting services to customers regarding the effective usage of medications, awareness with drug interactions and offering preventive healthcare services. Responsible for ensuring the proper dispensation, review and verification of prescribed medications within regulatory guidelines, company policies and procedures.Supports the efficient workflow of the pharmacy and assists the pharmacy manager in identifying ways to optimize pharmacy financials, inventory management and enhance customer experience.Reviews and interprets prescriptions to ensure safety, efficacy and appropriateness. Contacts and confers with physicians regarding any irregularities. Maintains compliance with all regulatory requirements.Responsibilities
Requirements, Preferences and Experience Education
- Engages customers and patients by greeting them and offering assistance with products and services. Resolves customer issues in a timely manner and answers questions to ensure a positive customer experience.
- Models and shares customer service best practices with all team members to deliver a distinctive and delightful customer experience, including interpersonal habits (e.g., greeting, eye contact, courtesy, etc.)
- Develops strong relationships with most valuable customers by anticipating customer needs and proactively offering services.
- Counsels patients and answers their questions regarding usage of medicine, side effects, interactions, contraindications, patient information privacy, generics, less expensive medicines, over-the-counter products, and refers to medical provider as needed to ensure medication is taken correctly, health needs addressed, and satisfaction with service.
- Performs pharmacist tasks including drug therapy reviews, verification, and medication management. Reviews, interprets, and accurately dispenses prescribed medications when necessitated by workload.
- Ensures the pharmacy operates in accordance to regulations, company policies and standards. Assists pharmacy manager with establishing procedures that promotes the efficient workflow of the pharmacy including assigning roles, coordinating activities, and soliciting employee suggestions. Responsible for the opening and closing of the pharmacy and shift change duties.
- Ensures the use of all elements of the Good Faith Dispensing policy in conjunction with state and federal controlled substance laws when filling prescriptions. The Product Review/Retail Fill Process Pharmacist has the ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the elements of Good Faith are present.
- Maintains current knowledge of EPIC and proposes and implements enhancements to further promote productivity.
- Ensures the accurate processing of insurance claims to resolve customer issues and prevent payment rejections. Follows-up with insurance companies as well as medical providers and participates in 3rd party audit.
- Follows-up with medical providers' offices to clarify prescribed medications, dosages, refills, interactions and allergies to suggest alternative medications, and answer medical provider questions.
- Performs retail, clinical, and wellness services such as diabetes awareness and other preventive healthcare services.
- Develops and maintains good relationships with local medical community including physicians, nurses, and other health care providers. Participates in community outreach activities to promote the pharmacy business and further enhance growth opportunities.
- Assists the Pharmacy Manager with staff hiring and training. Reinforces the direction of Pharmacy Manager in staff performance by coaching and providing constructive feedback, monitoring customer service, and fostering employee development.
- Promotes teamwork and motivates team members by establishing expectations, monitors and recognizes progress, and fosters a shared vision.
- Maintains current knowledge and skills related to pharmacy and healthcare by reading pharmacy-related journals, company publications, and communications. Maintains awareness of developments in retail and management and pursues best practices that would enhance performance.
- Obtains necessary certifications, education credits, and Healthstream training
- Seeks professional development by monitoring one's performance, solicits for constructive feedback, and leverages pharmacy manager and store manager as mentor and coach
- Provides information or knowledge on other drugs or pharmaceuticals as appropriate.
- Interprets prescribing provider's instructions and fills prescriptions as ordered and according to organizational policies. Reviews and verifies dosage or other instructions as needed. Ensures that controlled or hazardous substances are appropriately handled. Manages inventory and maintains financial records.
- Provides training and guidance to pharmacy interns throughout course of their work and monitoring their performance.
- Takes patient history as required; making initial clinical tests or assessments and referring patient to appropriate practitioners.
- Manages medication orders, including age-specific considerations to ensure medication safety (i.e., processing, preparation and dispensing).
- Participates in pharmacotherapeutic plan processes.
- Manages own pharmacy practice effectively.
- Supervises and directs healthcare team members.
- Contributes to goals, programs, and report cards for unit/department/hospital.
- Provides drug information.
- Provides education.
- Participates actively on inter and intra-departmental committees.
- Maximizes safety and efficiency through appropriate use of automation.
- Completes assigned goals.
Minimum: Bachelor of Science (B.S.) or Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.).Experience
Preferred: One year of retail pharmacy experience.Licensure, Registration, Certification
Minimum: PHARMACIST-FOR APPROPRIATE STATESpecial Skills
Preferred: Advanced computer order entry literacy, Microsoft Office applications, clinical experience. High-level cognitive ability to interpret and understand written medication orders and reference materials.
Minimum: Basic computer literacy and communication skills. Cognitive ability to interpret and understand written medication orders and reference materials; accuracy and attention to detail required.Training
Preferred: BLS and/or ACLS certification, advanced post-graduate training or equivalent clinical experience.About Baptist Memorial Health Care
At Baptist, we owe our success to our colleagues, who have both technical expertise and a compassionate attitude. Every day they carry out Christ's three-fold ministry-healing, preaching and teaching. And, we reward their efforts with compensation and benefits packages that are highly competitive in the Mid-South health care community. For two consecutive years, Baptist has won a Best in Benefits award for offering the best benefit plans compared with their peer groups. Winners are chosen based on plan designs, premiums and the results of a Benefits Benchmarking Survey.At Baptist, We Offer:
- Competitive salaries
- Paid vacation/time off
- Continuing education opportunities
- Generous retirement plan
- Health insurance, including dental and vision
- Sick leave
- Service awards
- Free parking
- Short-term disability
- Life insurance
- Health care and dependent care spending accounts
- Education assistance/continuing education
- Employee referral program
Position: 13455 - Pharmacist-Clinical Staff Outpatient
Facility: BMH - Golden Triangle Hospital
Department: GT Pharmacy Retail
Category: Pharmacy Services
Work Type: PRN
Work Schedule: Days
Located in the Jackson metro area.